The importance of SEO has been continuously growing over the past few years and definitely has an impact on your business. You should embed an inbound marketing plan in your overall marketing strategy and SEO (as a part of your inbound marketing plan) is a good way to drive targeted audiences to your site. So here are the latest trends in SEO for 2015 that you should take in account.
1. Content matters
In September 2013, Google launched its “Hummingbird” update. Unlike the previous Panda and Penguin updates, Hummingbird was completely based on semantic search. Semantic is a discipline based on the study of meaning. It aims to understand the meaning of the query and searcher’s intent by considering the whole sense of the sentence and not just by taking the words individually.
Indeed, the growth of conversational queries has changed the way you need to see your visitors queries. They are now asking questions and they expect to get an answer quickly. It is now crucial to figure out your keywords researches if you want to rank well.
So be sure to build a real content strategy based on content quality. Visitors are looking for high valuable contents and are seeking answers. You need to see your visitors’ expectations in terms of resources. It comes in response that any contents need to be unique and rich and that duplicate content is now dead and penalized your ranking.
2. Social Media Optimization
A good strategy on the social network relies on sharing your contents. It can prove the popularity of your contents and determined their quality for the search engines.
3. Link building
Google penalizes strategies based on fake backlinks. It refers to :
- Low-quality links
- Links made from thematics blogs which offer a link based on win-win deal.
- Links on optimized anchor
A successful link strategy depends on quality and not quantity of inbound links. In fact, changes have come with how search engines are interpreting links coming to your site and links pointing from your site to another. The website sitepoint.com gives you some tips on how you can earn links to your website via offline relationships:
- By hosting a networking event
- By creating a scholarship program
- By sponsoring an industry-related student club at a local university
- By sponsoring a sports team
- By joining a local business association or Chamber of Commerce
- By running a contest or fund-raiser
- By getting involved with the community or a charitable organization
Moreover, it turns out that brand mentions, informations about your brand on the source website, can increase the SEO impact of a link.
4. Mobile compatibility
With the rise of smartphone and the increasing amount of responsive design websites, Google is going to launch in April a “mobile-friendly” label that will reward mobile websites with a good user experience and taking into account the new rules in terms of ranking.
The search engine is experimenting a new mobile crawler which can do a better job of crawling single-page web apps, Android apps, and maybe even deep links in iOS apps.
Researches say that in 2015, there will be as many as 50 billion local searches using mobile devices, so you should definitely be on that edge!
It means that incompatible pages will be less good ranked in mobile search engine results.
Google is giving more importance to websites taking into consideration security. If you are a ecommerce website dealing with online payments and sensitive customer information, you need to make the right settings. One of the main feature you have to check is the “https” instead of the basic “http”.
6. Site structure
Appealing websites with an easy navigation win over confusing ones. The time you spent on a page and the bounce rate matter for Google. High bouncing rate can cause crawl errors and affect your ranking.
Here are three tips you can use to maximise your site structure :
- Draw a clear map of your website : use your target keyword research to structure your website and optimize your navigation.
- Categorize each page and section : the rule is “one page per product”. So if you have enough content related to a subject, make a page per category. Remember that semantic search is based on user queries, so link each page to a specific query.
- Create URLs that fit to SEO rules : prefer URL like http://www.yourdomain.com/page-title over these types of URL http://www.yourdomain.com/online.store/products/98213/index.html.
To sum up, the SEO trends for 2015 are based on user experience and google expectations. You have to fit to the search engine rules but don’t forget that you are firstly speaking to real humans !