Smart SEO for smartphone browsers
Aired on: May 29th, 2019
Cindy Krum takes us through the differences between mobile and desktop SEO. Where do the differences come from, and what should you as an SEO do about them? We cover topics from Mobile-First Indexing to AMP, and everything in between.
Cindy Krum is the CEO and Founder of MobileMoxie, LLC, which provides mobile marketing consultancy as well as offering a custom suite of cutting-edge online mobile marketing and SEO tools. Cindy brings fresh and creative ideas to her clients, providing on-site training and workshops.
Cindy is an active member of the digital marketing & growth communities. She regularly speaks at national and international conferences and has been quoted by many respected publications including PC World, Internet Retailer, TechWorld, Direct Magazine and Search Marketing Standard. She is also the author of Mobile Marketing: Finding Your Customers No Matter Where They Are.
Hosted by: Rebecca Berbel
Rebecca Berbel is the Content Manager at OnCrawl. Fascinated by NLP and machine models of language in particular, and by systems and how they work in general, Rebecca is never at a loss for technical SEO subjects to get excited about. She believes in evangelizing tech and using data to understand website performance on search engines.
Presenting Rebecca Berbel and Cindy Krum – [00:43]
What is mobile SEO – [02:32]
What is Mobile-First Indexing – [03:53]
What is AMP – [04:30]
– Difference between mobile and desktop SEO – [05:15]
– Google: repurposing content – [05:47]
– Zero-result searches and gamification – [06:35]
– Broader intent on mobile searches – [07:15]
– Google: monetization of search – [07:35]
– PWAs – [8:25]
– Indexing API – [09:10]
– TWAs – [09:50]
– New Google features outside of SEO – [11:15]
Importance of Mobile SEO – [12:20]
– Factors that make mobile SEO critical – [12:40]
– Markets with greater need for mobile SEO – [13:50]
Mobile-First Indexing – [15:55]
– How to tell if you’ve been switched – [16:00]
– Smartphone bot as primary crawler – [16:25]
– Better access to listings in SERP features – [17:50]
– Featured snippets and content within pages – [18:20]
Key points for a mobile friendly site – [20:32]
– Google’s guidelines – [20:58]
– Embrace entertainment culture – [21:12]
Managing different versions for mobile vs desktop – [23:30]
Advantages of AMP – [24:10]
– Faster web with less data exchange – [25:25]
– AMP as a Google-hosted CDN – [26:00]
– Favoring a move towards interactive, entity-based results and Google Play – [27:30]
– Taking advantage of AMP code even without AMP validity – [35:15]
AMP stories and new remixed content – [31:00]
Benefits to early adopters of new Google features – [34:00]
Googlebot-image and indexing images – [35:20]
Tips for recipe blogs: hi-res images – [38:50]
Subscribe to SEO in Orbit to be notified as soon as a new webinar is out, and receive a compilation of the best tips and the aftermovie.
OnCrawl is an award-winning technical SEO platform that helps you make smarter SEO decisions. OnCrawl combines your content, log files and search data at scale so that you can open Google’s blackbox and build a SEO strategy with confidence. Backed by a SEO crawler, a log analyzer and third-party integrations, OnCrawl currently works with over 800 clients in 66 countries including e-commerce websites, online publishers and travel websites. OnCrawl produces actionable dashboards and reports to support your entire search engine optimization process and helps you improve your rankings, traffic and revenues.